Thursday, February 4, 2010

Drop in a bucket and a crazy quilt

When the earthquake struck Haiti I found myself watching the news, amazed at the amount of suffering that could happen one place. After a couple of days I realized it was time to move from watching to DOING. I looked at Mennonite Central Committee’s website, saw the amount of relief kits they are attempting to gather and decided that would be my way of helping. But it seemed one bucket wouldn’t go very far in reaching the 20,000 kits needed by the end of February. So… why not give others an opportunity to join in. Maybe one person feels they can give a bar of soap, another a towel. If we put it all together we can do much more.
I also noticed the request for comforters – who wouldn’t need a “comforter” in the situation in Haiti. I can pray for them to experience the ultimate Comforter, but what if I sent one too. Thus the beginning of a Hillsboro community comforter that is going together at the store. Customers have brought scraps of various sizes and shapes and the craziness goes on from there. I’ve never made a crazy quilt before so I hope the quilting experts don’t stop by to critique it. But piece by piece we’re adding on until we achieve the 60x80 inch size that is requested and then it will be tied and finished.
All are welcome to join in. We will be collecting relief kit items until the last week in February. Go to mcc.org for more information. (Laundry bar soap is available at Dales Supermarket in Hillsboro)

No comments:

Post a Comment